The past generation has described us, millennials as lazy, unfocused and entitled. And much more than often these attributes blow up on our faces during the hiring process. Maybe not all of us fall into these generalizations, so what habits can actually make you look better in the workplace:
- If there is something that runs in every millennial’s blood is to overwork and then complain about it. You need to be able to make a positive difference in your company’s productivity, but don’t have unrealistic or over-the-top expectations. Establish goals that can be achieved. Don’t pressure yourself into doing too much of work. Maintain a healthy work-life balance. Your work should change you, not torture your soul.
- Millennials have another disease that is draining the logic out of their minds – the smartphone phenomenon. Put down your phone once in a while. I agree, we are a generation born out of technology. But, using your phones as an excuse to take a break from work isn’t exactly a solution. Constantly checking your Facebook newsfeed or tweets will only cut through your concentration and decrease your overall productivity.
- It is important to be able to work in a team, surrounding yourself with all kinds of people in the This team-centric resourcefulness is exactly what employers are looking for.
- With the world moving so fast, so many things are happening at the very same time. Though it is advisable to do one task at a time, millennials have an added advantage to be able to use their hyper-activeness and unfocused energy by dealing with multiple tasks at the same time. To be able to multitask more efficiently, you should be able to draw a priority list of all the tasks in hand and pick a right combination of tasks. Multitasking works only if you are organized and keep a track of all your projects.
- Millennial lack the patience to learn. The technology driven environment helps them complete all tasks instantly, so they don’t feel the need to learn anymore than the minimum. What is important to understand is be able to portray a mentality that honors knowledge.
It is true that a millennial is expected to be more efficient and has the patience and strength with immense pressure, both there is nothing to worry about. You can handle the pressure if you improve your lifestyle and we more of a welcoming sort of person.